UV Colour Change Beads
Colour your world with these amazing beads! They detect ultraviolet (UV) light by changing colour, from off-white to either: purple, blue, orange, red, or yellow. The stronger the ultraviolet radiation present, the quicker the colour change and the deeper the colour. Some super solar magic! Once indoors and away from the sun's UV light the beads change back to off-white. Why not make a bracelet or key ring that'll tell you when to slop on the sunscreen!?
Age: 6 +
What You Get
250 beads in a clear plastic bag with instruction sheet.
How does it work?
These remarkable beads contain a special pigment that reacts with UV light to change the shape of the pigment's molecules and hence their colour. This light induced chemical reaction is called photochromism and is reversible. When the coloured beads are bought indoors and away from the sun's ultraviolet rays they change back to off white. They can change colour thousands of times. With our UV torches you can now demonstrate the amazing colour changing properties of these beads even indoors. Simply shine the UV light from the torch onto the beads and watch them change from off-white to bright colours.
- The importance of protecting skin/eyes from the sun and its damaging UV radiation.
- The reversible chemical reaction between the pigment inside the beads and UV light that changes the shape of the pigment's molecules and their colour.
- Photochromism: a light-induced reversible change of colour. For example, clear eye glass lenses that transition to dark lenses.
- Experiment by submerging coloured beads in water of different temperatures (lukewarm, hot and ice cold). How does temperature affect the rate at which the beads (or pigment molecules) revert to being colour-free?
- Test the effectiveness of your sunglasses by placing some beads behind the sunglass lenses and others in full view of the sun. Do the beads shielded by the sunglasses remain white and protected from harmful UV radiation?
- Test your sunscreen by rubbing some on the beads and then exposing these beads to sunshine. Do they stay white and protected from Ultraviolet rays or is it time to change brands or throw out old sunscreen that might be out-of-date?
The beads change colour within seconds after being exposed to sun light. They do not react to light from light globes and do not, themselves, give off UV radiation.
WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD Small Parts. Not for children under 3 years.
|Age Group||5-6 Years, 7-8 Years, 9-10 Years|
What are the shipping costs?
FREE Shipping is available on all orders over $120 to anywhere in Australia!
Orders under the value of $120 incur a low flat rate shipping cost of only $9.95 to anywhere in Australia.
Express, Registered and International delivery options are also available. The cost for these premium shipping services will be automatically calculated during the checkout process. Please conact us if you have any queries with these services.
In some cases we may need to apply a shipping surcharge to large or fragile items, especially to remote or non-urban locations. You will be contacted by us for confirmation if this additional charge is applicable.
How long will it take for my order to arrive?.
You should receive your order within 2 to 4 working days, although to some regional and out back areas it can take up to 2 working days longer. Orders going to WA also take a little longer, up to 6 working days.
All standard orders are shipped using Australia Post's eParcel service, so you'll be kept fully informed of the progress of your order during its journey to you. Aside from receiving regular email updates, you can enter your tracking number into Australia Post's website at any time for information about the delivery status of your order.
International delivery will take from between 1 to 4 weeks depending on the destination and potential customs clearance delays.
When will my order be shipped?
We ship every Victorian business day. Orders received and paid for by 12pm AEST time will generally be shipped the same day.
If you require your order urgently, we have a next day delivery express service available.
What locations do you ship to?
We ship to both Australian and International customers.
What shipping options are available?
The majority of orders are shipped using Australia Post's trackable eParcel service, with larger orders being sent by national courier.
We also have options for express or registered post. A number of international delivery options are also available. These can be selected during checkout.