The Mouldy Bread Experiment
- Students will develop and/or refine their skills in designing and conducting experiments.
- Students will understand the factors that promote and prevent the growth of mold on bread.
Equipment required (per student or pair of students):
- 2 slices of bread each cut into halves.
- 4 small ziplock bags
- 4 sticky labels and pen
- Access to water, a fridge and perhaps a toaster (optional)
Some moldy bread in a sealed bag for demonstration purposes.
Show the mouldy bread to the students to prompt a discussion. (You could give it a little backstory, e.g. &lsq
This DIY 'heart rate monitor' will open your eyes to the amazing muscle that keeps you alive and kicking.Suitable for kids aged 5+ with parental supervision.You Need:
What to do:
- Drinking straw
- Lump of putty, plasticine or blu-tac - that's it!
- Poke the straw into the putty. Okay, so it looks nothing like an expensive ECG monitor but wait till you see what this thing can do!
- Lay on your back and find the pulse in your neck. Lay the putty on top of this spot so that the tip of the straw is just above your eye. Now watch what happens... it's a little freaky.