Science Wiz Inventions
Build models of clever inventions made with coils from the 19th and early 20th century, and explore basic electronic components and the fundamentals of electromagnetism.
Create a spinning motor, a clicking telegraph, a light flashing generator and a real working radio!
The full color illustrations present central scientific concepts so you can discover the "why" as well as the "how" of these four great projects and the use of everyday materials demystifies the workings of common electronic components.
Although designed for 8 year olds, Science Wiz Inventions has an extraordinary history and following, and has been used at MIT to mentor high school students in physics and at U.C. Berkeley to mentor women in science. It has been used similarly at other institutions including the Fermi Lab and the University of Texas at Austin.
Promote a deep understanding of fundamental inventions with coils, and build a foundation for analytical thinking. This well-thought-out kit brings clarity to how things work. Great for use in the classroom.
Explore the animations, video and information on the SciencecWiz website to deepen and extend your comprehension.
Age: 8 +
What You Get
Science Wiz Inventions. One 1.5V size D battery is required, and NOT included in the kit.
Each Pack includes:
- A full colour 48 page booklet
- Parts to make a motor (bar magnet, foam base, magnet wire, connecting wire, battery band)
- Parts to make a generator (magnet wire, iron nail, battery band, connecting wire, switch card, paper fasteners, paperclips)
- Parts to make a radio (15m magnet wire, diode, earphone, paper fasteners, colour coded connecting wire)
- A spinning motor
- A light flashing generator - a motor in reverse
- A clicking telegraph
- A real radio
- Instructions for making a galvanometer and a relay
- Electronic components
- Inventions with coils
- How things work
WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD Small Parts. Not for children under 3 years.
|Age Group||9-10 Years, 11-12 Years, 12+ Years|