Tea Bag Rocket
An easy and fun way to learn about convection currents!
- Teabag with a string and label
- Non-flammable plate
- Scissors Lighter or match
- Lighter or match
- Remove the staple, label and string from the teabag.
- Pour the tea into a bin.
- Unfold the teabag.
- Turn the teabag into a cylinder - make sure there's a space in the centre. You can use your finger if that helps.
- Stand the cylinder on one end on a plate. Make sure it's on a flat surface.
- Use a lighter or match to set the top of the teabag cylinder on fire.
- What happens? You should see the ashes of the teabag fly into the air!
Why is it so?
Did you know that hot air balloons use a similar principle.The burner beneath the balloon heats the air inside the balloon. The less dense, heated air in the balloon rises above the denser, cooler air around the balloon and the balloon flies.