Why Shop With Us?
Top Customer Service
Teacher Owned & Operated
Customer Loyalty Program
In water, these incredible cubes grow about 200 times their volume. Wow! Just like our instant snow and growing bead products, these cubes are a type of superabsorbent polymer. Watch the gel-like transparent cubes disappear in water, then, magically reappear when the water is drained. Or leave them in the sun and watch them shrink. They can even be used to keep flowers alive in vases when you are done with your experiments. Available in clear or single coloured cubes.
Age: 6+ with adult supervision
What you get
5 gram packet of cubes ready to grow (cubes measure about 1-4mm).
How does it work?
The cubes take about 5 hours to fully grow in water. When fully-grown they contain up to 95% water giving the transparent cubes the ability to disappear when submerged. Their cross-linked molecules have a high sodium content attracting water into the polymer system through a process called osmosis. Leave the cubes out to dry and they shrink ready to be grown again. Try sprinkling some salt on the fully-grown cubes, does it have the same effect as drying? Lots of science in these cubes.
- Hydrophilic (or water loving) substances. Compare them to hydrophobic (or water hating) substances like magic sand that never gets wet in water.
- Why do the fully-grown transparent cubes seem to disappear in water? Investigate light and how it travels through different materials. Colour the transparent cubes with food dye. What effect does this have on light and their ability to disappear?
- Superabsorbent polymers and their use in real life applications, like in babys nappies and agriculture to retain water in soil.
- The process of osmosis. What happens when salt is sprinkled on the fully-grown beads?
- Evaporation: when water evaporation occurs and the beads dry out, it is they are ready to grow again!
Not only do these make great science toys they can be used in vases of flowers or with candles as great home decoration.
WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD Small Parts. Not for children under 3 years.
FIRST AID: If swallowed do not give liquids, seek medical advice immediately.
|Age Group||5-6 Years, 7-8 Years, 9-10 Years|